Mill24 - first post

Go to this - you have just fewer than 21 hours. Mill24 is on today and obviously into Sunday at Islington Mill.

I've already been down for two hours, and will be volunteering as an invigilator/whatever between 18:00 and 00:00 today, and 06:00 and 12:00 tomorrow. When I left it was a little quiet, but I think that's more or less what you'd expect. This is the second event following on from one in April.

See my second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh posts for further information.


Several friends are participating.

Gary Fisher is recording a track every hour for the duration, each of which is being uploaded to his blog here.

Graham Dunning will similarly be documenting his studio through photographs, sounds and more. Check his work here.

Louise Woodcock will be gradually crocheting herself into a biomorphic woollen form. She won't be documenting it as the event goes on, but she blogs here.

Jennifer McDonald will be exploring the effects of sleep deprivation and investigating the ideas that arise through the 24 hours. Intriguingly her plans have changed a couple of times from the information recorded on Mill24 blog.

Debbie Elvis will be creating a series of 24 pinhole photographs, each apparently exposed across the duration of an hour. There doesn't appear to be any information on the blog relating to her work. She is one of the brains behind Kraak.

They are all in studios 204 and 206.

Although I'm not participating I intend to take one photo each hour, and record one minute of sound. At present I can't find a way, once I've transferred the audio from my phone to my Mac, to save it in a format other than QuickTime. So I won't upload any audio yet.

But the first three photos are below. There will ultimately be 25 photos and 25 recordings, since I'm recording them on the hour as near as possible, starting at 12:00 today and ending at 12:00 tomorrow. I have a fourth photo to upload after this post

The first photo and sound were taken on the way there - see the picture below. Despite this I managed to be the first non-participant through the doors, somewhere close to 12:20.


Gary, Graham and Lou not pictured. This second picture was in their shared studio.


The third photo (below) would also have been in their studio if I hadn't gone for a wander to see what else was happening. Some of the other things that were happening will be covered in a review of my experiences later.


Just in case you thought this blog had gotten all impersonal in the last year or so, over the next week or more I will also be documenting my attempts to get myself organised. Despite being generally more content, having a lot more happening, and certainly having a lot more friends than in the past I have felt in recent weeks that I might be getting ill again. Increasing anxiety, anxiety and abandonment dreams, and lack of direction have begun to be a bit of a problem. In order to counteract this I will be tidying my room and throwing out a vast amount of stuff, making sure my diary and general paperwork is up to date, and sorting out some big jobs that I've simply been putting off. Mostly I'll document this through photos and sound.

But that starts next week - for now get the hell down to the Mill and check out what's going on.

Comments

Popular Posts