the other room poetry night

Update 7 Aug - a much more articulate account of last night's reading on Brando's Hat, for those frustrated by my waffle.

As quickly as I can while it's still fresh in my mind, and because I have to be up at obscene o'clock in order to get to Bootle for some barely relevant training at a stupid time.

I went along this evening with one of my sisters to (I think) the third Other Room poetry night run by Openned in Manchester. Phil Davenport was unable to read, but both Stuart Calton and Maggie O'Sullivan were well worth seeing.

I wasn't familiar with either poet, but so far as performance goes I was more impressed by Maggie O'Sullivan. She seemed more comfortable reading, more familiar with the rhythms of her own work, and the poetry itself seemed more purposeful. With both of them I'd like to read more of their work, and it's obviously unfair to judge someone on a single performance. Maggie's work appeared to be more confident itself, better able to set its own frames of reference. Stuart Calton's work for me was less assured - although that might be a product of the performance on the night. I felt that he was often focussing on a single point longer than necessary, and that there was always one eye on some external authority to justify the decisions that were made. That said it was good poetry, and I will be looking out for more from both of them.

The next night in Manchester is October 1, and will feature Caroline Bergvall, beloved of this blog, Joy as Tiresome Vandalism (well worth your time), and David Annwn, of whom I know nothing. It looks like being another great night though. If you're in Manchester then, get down to the Old Abbey Inn (directions from the Other Room link, above).

Another cool aspect of the night was getting to talk with Matt Welton, whose Book of Matthew you really ought to check out. I didn't read it until the end of last year, but it made a big impression. Not perhaps as explosive as Caroline Bergvall's Fig, but just as deep and lasting. I'd pretty much given up on finding anything worth reading on the poetry shelves by the time I gave it a try. Anyway, as well as being a damn fine writer with a couple of books due out soon I believe, Matt's also a tutor at Bolton where I'm slowly working through the part-time MA in Creative Writing. Anyway, it was cool to talk to him, and just a damn shame that I had to rush off home in order that I can spend hours on the train tomorrow.

It also made me think that maybe I should post the story of why santiago's dead wasp is so called. I'll think about it, and I may do so toward the weekend.

.

Comments

Popular Posts