urban exploring - manchester victoria

Last weekend, heading out to Todmorden for Tor Ist Das festival on one of the days I noticed out of the train window that leaving Victoria station there's a spur of railway that curves out to your left which no longer has tracks, and is completely overgrown.

I started to wonder if it was possible to get onto it, how far you could walk, and where it might lead. And I decided that I really ought to try and get onto it. So today I wandered out with my camcorder to see what I could see. I saw a fair amount that warrants further exploration, but the main thing was that I was able to get onto that spur of railway, and walk all the way almost to Victoria.

I don't know what the line was, or where it went. From a superficial search online, I think it was the Redbank Sidings. I think they may have been part of a line going out to Huddersfield and Leeds, but I'm sure someone will know.

Anyway, a map of that specific bit of my walk can be found at Plotaroute - www.plotaroute.com/route/108924. And my unedited video of my walk along the former line can be viewed below:

Edit: couldn't tell left from right, now corrected.


Coming shortly, though I didn't have time to edit them today, are two new video reviews. They discuss the Studio Ghibli film My Neighbour Totoro which was recently on at HOME, and The Other Room from last Wednesday (19 August).

Comments

Popular Posts