audio from the creation of icarus

I mentioned in my previous post that I might post audio from the compositional process of my new semi-improvised piece Icarus, to be debuted at The Other Room next week on Wednesday 19 August.

So a brief recap, unfortunately Sarah Kelly wasn't able to make the event, so I was asked if I'd step in on Sunday. I was happy to help out, so said yes, and decided that in the ten days to the performance I'd create, rehearse and memorise a new piece.

That started with a pair of recordings of possible ideas on Monday morning on my way into work, and a third on Tuesday morning in the same circumstances:



During Tuesday lunchtime I recorded a set of spoken thoughts, to go along with the drawn sketches and written notes I'd been making that day:



On Tuesday evening I recorded a set of individual sections that I edited together to make a complete piece. This was partly to allow me to rehearse, but also so I could listen back, familiarise myself with the structure, and identify what worked and what didn't.

After making notes while listening on Wednesday, I rehearsed some more, and recorded a second version. That version I listened to today, made notes for further improvements, and this evening rehearsed again. During which rehearsals I made a third recording, from which the final bit of audio is extracted.

This evening I was largely concentrating on memorising the structure, and I'm now confident I can perform Icarus without notes. That said, I'll continue to rehearse to be sure. And while I don't intend to, it's possible I'll record further versions to refine the piece further.

So yeah, an extract from the most recent full recording of Icarus:

Comments

Unknown said…
Antony Gordon fills his pitches for money and for delay of repayment with inspirational messages from Torah, including the admonition it is not permitted to pressure people for repayment. He told some creditors he would make a big push within his religious community to borrow money before Rosh Hashanah, but apparently he did not have much success.
Matt Dalby said…
Divulge in weary rain-sodden paradise. Trip of a Lifetime could be YOURS!!! Just try this one trick EU residents are using to paying low price and avoid tax every day. Bequeathed after his untimely death and if only in retrospect helping ameliorate aspects of the grieving process. But for the moment everyone was numb and tired.

Popular Posts