moving away or moving towards

I said recently I want to explain why I feel I'm moving away from sound poetry.

It isn't just sound poetry I think I'm moving away from it's also visual poetry, text poetry, and poetry in performance.

The main reason for this shift is perhaps the same reason why I began to explore all these forms in the first place. That's my interest in the visceral impacts of art.

I started writing poetry because I was writing a lot and I wanted to try and disrupt expectations to have a more immediate impact. The experiments I tried led me to something that looked quite a lot like poetry.

I called myself a poet as a matter of convenience, although I was quite happy if anyone said what I was doing wasn't poetry. They never did. Or at least I had to wait until 2009 before they did.

Performing gave me a bigger buzz than just writing ever did. I wasn't great, mainly because I was reading slightly 'meh' poems I'd written, but it was fun.

When I discovered innovative poetry and shortly afterwards found I couldn't really write it I decided to experiment with visual poetry and sound poetry. They fairly quickly moved away from anything readily recognisable as poetry.

I continued calling them visual poetry and sound poetry because they gave people some sort of a clue as to where I was coming from, what my background was. They indicated my origins rather than my destination.

In the last six months while I continue to do things you might call visual poetry the visual aspect of my practice has shifted mainly to sculptural objects.

As regards sound, through the last half of 2009 and in more recent works such as the piece in the link at the beginning it's become apparent that I'm no longer really doing sound poetry. It's perhaps closer to sound art, but even that feels a little prescriptive.

) TH GOOD /OLD W~AY aside I seem to have largely stopped working with text for the moment.

In performance I made the decision in 2008 that I won't do any more readings. I'd rather concentrate on sound poetry/sound art/whatever. I have plans for a couple of whatevers, and want to explore performance art some more.

My take on this, rapidly becoming a cliche, is that rather than going away from anything I'm going towards the future, the next idea, an expansion of my practice. Which means that poetry, visual poetry, sound poetry are all still there and I may well return to them. I've just shifted my focus a little.

And I'll continue to shift my focus. I get bored in the same place.

Comments

Popular Posts