goodbye @soundpoet?

At the start of March 2009 I opened a twitter account @soundpoet.

There were various reasons for doing so. One of the more important that emerged was to use the tweets as a way of writing regularly.

I had been struggling for a time to come up with poetry that I felt adequately reflected the innovative poetry that interested me. I hoped that through twitter I might be able to work my way towards a more natural approach.

Subsequently other challenges became the focus of attention. How far could I compress quite complex information? Would it be possible for someone track my movements from the details provided?

At the same time a number of things happened that changed the context of how I approached the twitter account. I found that it was easy to allow it to take over my life, to set myself a goal of a certain number of tweets in a day. I moved away from working with text to concentrate on soundwork, on visual poetry, and this summer on sculptural forms.

My tweets have been an influence on ) TH GOOD /OLD W~AY. But they are only one of a number of influences on the series which I'm really approaching much more like a sculpture than a piece of writing.

For some time it's seemed that I've done about as much with @soundpoet as I want. My trip to New York really crystallised the fact that I'm no longer that concerned about recording anything through twitter. I'd rather just get on with living.

For these reasons I've stopped tweeting as @soundpoet although I'll leave the account there for the time being. I haven't decided what the long term future of the account is, or whether to do anything with the tweets I've sent. Suggestions etc. welcome.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'd like to see the tweets used in some sort of way. A lot of them remind me of the kind of photos I take when going for a walk for that purpose. But it's great that some of them are descriptions of sounds and not just visual things.
Maybe they could form some sort of score?
Unknown said…
I for one will miss the tweets.

Popular Posts