fight reviewed

Richard Barrett reviews fight here. A fair review which highlights some of the weaknesses pitfalls and dangers inherent in what I'm doing. Especially the constant shadow of absurdity. This is something I have to acknowledge and have downright played with in both the titles and sound of some pieces.

One thing I thought it might be interesting to mention is how I started making sound poetry when I didn't really have much of a clue what it was about. I started by making very rough sounds that I layered thickly in loops. As I heard more sound poetry and began to try to work out a voice of my own I refined and minimised my technique. But I'm still early on in this process and don't really feel that I have full control over what I'm doing yet. The point I was coming to though is that I'm deliberately attempting to make a sound poetry that occupies an interstitial space, because I feel that is exactly what sound poetry is. It is not quite performed poetry. It is not quite music. It is not quite sound art. It is not quite performance art. And yet at various points it can be something of all of these.

Anyway go and check Richard's review and when you've done that have a look at the rest of his blog. Once you've done that if you want to find more of his writing then the new The Other Room anthology is a good place to start. You'll also find an invigorating mix of other poets there. 

Comments

Popular Posts