the writing's on the wall

Or the writings on the wall.

Numbers on the wall of the studio, painted over but showing through. Now covered for the moment by visual poems.


I think these numbers may play a role in a piece of work conceived in the last couple of days as a way of presenting some of my street cutlery. I like the idea of mysterious annotations on the work.


The curious effect of a reddish circle in the centre of each picture has something to do with the way my mobile phone's camera handles the light reflecting off the white walls.


My mobile phone's camera has good resolution and gets some nice effects, but it isn't as flexible as my older digital camera. That said, since I started taking these on my phone I figured I might as well do them all the same way.


I'm currently printing off a series of archaeological plans for the street cutlery piece, and a mass of material for the paper I'm presenting at the Salford Noise conference at the end of the month. But I'll be able to spend more time at the studio tomorrow.


It was a little hard to know how to frame the numbers. Centrally is fine, but it gets a little boring, even though the forms themselves are interesting.


So I decided to move them around the frame a little.


It would be interesting to know if the numbers relate in any way to the pinholes - if they referred to images pinned on the wall.


I like the crossings out.


Some numbers were photographed twice. I tried to do the lot on Sunday, but for some reason the pictures took up more space than they normally do, so I had to come home, download them, then take more pictures on Monday.


Incidentally I haven't forgotten the audio from Mill24 but I haven't had a chance to render more than two tracks to mp3 format yet, and then I need to upload them somewhere in order to put them up here. I also have what I managed to record of the performances at Counting Backwards to sort out.


In fact now I'm determined to spend more time away from the computer I find there are masses of things I actually need to get on with. Not only the stuff mentioned above, but uploading the photos and linking to reviews for the Counting Backwards website, checking out opportunities, further research for my paper, and more.


There are also more images documenting the space. Partly recording aspects of it I haven't really photographed yet, partly documenting projects as they develop, and partly seeing how the space, and the way I use it changes.


Not to mention the changing light.


Although I haven't made it clear in this series of photos the numbers are actually, broadly, in two rows. One upper and one lower, with a few figures either above or below their respective lines.


Comments

Popular Posts