noise + the other room poetry night

Although it may not be for a few days yet there'll be some fucked-up sounds heading blogwards. From two sources. Basically santiago's been down to the electronics store and bought all sorts of cheap goodies to make a racket with. First there's a wave generator to create electronic noise with that I'll put together, probably on Tuesday, and may get to record some din from in few weeks.

Second, initially inspired by Gary, I bought some audio cable, some piezo-electric transducers, a soldering iron and solder wire and created my first contact mic, to amplify the sounds of any surface it's in contact with. Unlike part of Gary's degree show I won't be mic-ing up a whole environment. Instead, using paper/plastic cups I'll be creating distorting vocal mics from them. The first fruits of this could be as early as next week - depending on whether my shit soldering holds up.

The other half of that title is the return of Manchester's bi-monthly experimental poetry reading series The Other Room. I hope there are to be more of these, I think the London version is taking a hiatus if I read their site properly. Anyway, this time David Annwn, Joy As Tiresome Vandalism, and Caroline Bergvall will be performing. Ever since I saw the list back in June I've kept a place in my diary for this one, and if you're free, in town on Wednesday 1 October you'd be stupid to miss it.

.

Comments

Popular Posts