happy santiago second birthday

Really can't think of anything intelligent or illuminating to say about two years of santiago's dead wasp. So instead here's a bunch of new stuff. There are some recent photographs, a short movie experiment, and the short story The Smell Mirror that got mentioned early in the year.

For the future I'm aiming to get some (pretty rough) audio things done, there'll be a short movie called see you at the funeral (finished before the experimental piece which at time of writing hasn't even been started) once I've done something else with it, and it'd be good to get some drawings and cartoons posted too. Oh, oh, and scripts - or bits of anyway. When there are some.

Do I spoil you or what?

You may recognise the title of see you at the funeral. It was the potential poem that got posted on the weekend that then got rewritten, recorded and turned into a soundtrack for another Manchester travelogue. It's ok but a lot of flaws that will be fixed next time.

A quick commercial break, go download or buy a collection of Blind Willie Johnson. Now. I mean right now, stop everything and go track him down. Blues musician who recorded in the 30s. I don't wanna say too much cause it sounds wanky but if it don't make your hair stand on end then you're dead. Amazing guitar and a rough voice, gospel songs in a blues style, it'll make you afraid and happy at the same time time. Just do it.

Anyhoo in case you're interested here's the text as heard in the movie (in pretty skanky sound).

I'll see you at the funeral.

Sharp city summer dust
you look a whole lot older.
I'll see you at the funeral.

You laugh like everybody
no fear or anger there.
I'll see you at the funeral.

Beaches make me sad
like places I was happy.
I'll see you at the funeral.

I'll see you at the funeral
it's going to be cold
you better bring a coat
fold your hands just right
and walk it slow.
I'll see you at the funeral.

Someone said you're rich
you look quite good in profile.
I'll see you at the funeral.

Colours in the tarmac sun
you ever take a look?
I'll see you at the funeral.

Your water's very pure
your shirt looks pretty cool.
I'll see you at the funeral.

I'll see you at the funeral.

Sure kind of juvenile in some of it's aspects but the aim was to make it mesh with images. It gives you freedom to simplify to an extent. You'll see.

The experimental piece got finished and is called light. It might have been better to slow the footage down to about half speed and maybe layer in more ambient sound. I'll try that over the weekend and if it works the revision will be posted either in place of or as well as the version I'll post later today.

Comments

Popular Posts