television personalities + others at klondyke club last saturday

Saturday saw Television Personalities and other bands through the afternoon and evening at the Klondyke Club in Levenshulme.

I've put off writing about this because although I enjoyed myself it was pretty painful in some ways. I'll tackle the reason for that first.

Dan Treacy from Television Personalities was really not able to perform as well as he's probably still capable of. After a while it felt too much like watching someone self-harm and I left the room. I'm not particularly proud of that.

This shouldn't be taken as an attack on Dan Treacy or Television Personalities, or on the organiser of the event. It would be a shame if Treacy weren't allowed to perform, and I'm sure he is still capable of good performances. Unfortunately this wasn't one and was really very sad to watch.

You can find plenty from Television Personalites here, buy records here (other online stores are available), or see a documentary that gives some background starting here. All best wishes to Dan Treacy and his friends.

Dan Treacy did tell Louise Woodcock from Womb that their performance, which opened the event, was like seeing The Velvet Underground for the first time. I couldn't comment on that never having seen The Velvet Underground live - but I can say that Womb were fucking tremendous. For me they were the band of the night, but then I probably would say that.

Musically they were a lot more focussed and together than they were at the Manchester Artists' Bonfire. You can even check for yourself. Here's the set from the bonfire, and here's the set from Saturday. The sound was more varied and more in control this time.

It was noticeable that there was really great atmosphere between the group that was obvious as you watched. Had they played later in the day there would certainly have been people dancing. Fuck it, if I'd been a bit more high I probably would have been dancing then.

The sound has some obvious debts to Krautrock and drone - albeit more contemporary than the former and more beaty than the latter. At times it's even poppy. But since the line-up shifts around according to who's available the sound clearly changes.

Helen Shanahan's keyboard was sometimes difficult to separate from either the synthesiser or what appeared to be some kind of bellows driven instrument. For what it's worth I think this is a good thing. One of the amps worked only intermittently which meant that the guitar wasn't used for most of the gig and added another percussionist into the mix.

Overall it was a really excellent gig with a really nice feeling about it. On a note of equality it's also great to go to a gig where the boyfriends of the band are sitting in the audience. Womb do seem to be developing into something potentially pretty special. Try and catch them if you get the chance.


A lot of the other groups were not really my sort of thing so it seems a bit unfair to slag them off on that basis. I did enjoy Floater Riverer who were working with the limited pallette of drums, guitar and vocals. I suppose that kind of two person set-up could be seen as distinctively noughties (White Stripes, Kills, Black Keys). This was a slightly more poppy take on the sound, certainly a lot more agile and less lumpen that The Black Keys. I'd be inclined to see them again or listen online.

I was less interested by either Doris and The Jumpers or Town Bike, but both are fun enough to listen/dance to.

Doris and The Jumpers made me think of the kind of twee pop/indie made by the likes of Teenage Fanclub, Helen Love and others around 15-20 years ago - itself drawing from older models. It's likeable enough in its way, and I can see how you could easily fall in love with it. For me though it has a relatively limited appeal. I also felt they could have kicked up the volume a step or two without doing any damage to their sound.

Town Bike sometimes came across as very very young perhaps to their detriment. It's not music I'd ever seek out but enjoyable enough to bounce about to. And on a day that was fun but quite heavy on often fairly winsome music that could have done with a bit more energy and volume it was very welcome.

The take-home summary? Womb were amazing and you should catch them live if you can, and definitely listen to what's available. Television Personalities are still alive and kicking. Go to see them if you can but be aware it might be heartbreaking experience.

Comments

Popular Posts