hallelujah

I haven't just been sat here writing posts all day. I also did some recording.

Now while I'm reluctant to add to the hundreds of often pretty shit versions of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah I have had a go myself.

Nothing spectacular although I'm happy enough with it. The main difference between this recording and most others is that it's unaccompanied, it's a home recording so there's some ambient background, and rather than burst into the chorus I drop down to something quieter, more fragile and hesitant.

Comments

recording is good =]

Poetry <3
Matt Dalby said…
Thanks a lot - I appreciate it.
Matt Dalby said…
I've just realised I left a very similar response to someone on my 'meditation' post + it possibly looks a bit insincere.

I genuinely do appreciate the kind comment though. To be honest I was a bit iffy about even posting the audio.

So thanks again.
Unknown said…
Good work this Matt. My favourite version is John Cale's.
Matt Dalby said…
Thanks a lot. Was kind of a spur of the moment thing.

I think a large part of making this work is actually the recording. I recorded straight on to my Zoom H4N using 3D inbuilt mics. They're louder and produce a more intimate, encompassing feel.

I tried an external mic, and while it produced a cleaner sound with less noise it was also quieter and much flatter.

Popular Posts