review - peter barlow's cigarette poetry readings sat 15 september

This afternoon saw the latest Peter Barlow's Cigarette poetry reading event.

It was due to see readings from Richard Barrett, Steve Hanson and Ágnes Lehóczky. Unfortunately Ágnes was unable to read, so Joey Frances, Tim Allen and Bryony Bates filled in with a poem each to kick off.

Although I don't mention them in the audio review below - because I didn't take notes and temporarily forgot Joey's surname - all three were really good. Very different modes and performances.

The first scheduled performance was a joint one from Steve and Richard reading from their new book The Acts (Amazon link, sorry), published by Dostoyevsky Wannabe. This is basically what my review focusses on, because it's what I took notes for.

There was then a short break followed by solo readings from Richard and Steve, which although I don't really discuss were both good.

I won't talk any more about the reading, you can hear me stumble over my thoughts and voice in the slightly wanky review below. But I will mention some of the upcoming events that I shout out at the end.

One is Murmur, no date or readers, though I'm guessing the next event is November or possibly December at Common in Manchester. More details at that Twitter link earlier in the paragraph, or at their website, or at Common's website as it they become available.

No Matter have their next event at Gullivers, Manchester on 17 October from 19:30 with Alice Tarbuck, Nat Raha & Tai Shani.

Although for a variety of reasons I haven't yet attended either of these series I've heard from people I trust that they're interesting, and they have both hosted writers who I like a lot.

Upcoming on 23-24 November in Salford and Manchester is Poetry Emergency organised by Joey Frances and Nia Davies. As the Facebook page says it will explore 'emergency and liveness in radical poetic art... Bringing together some of the most challenging and surprising poets and performers of the moment [it will] ask how poetic art can intervene against passivity and fear in order to agitate and inspire. In the emergency-prone moment of anxiety and disaster-creation, how can the mini-revolutions of language art snowball into communities of support and resistance?' There are already some great people lined-up.

I do also mention that Bryony Bates gave details of another couple of events, but since I didn't take notes and my memory isn't worth shit I can't remember what they were. If any kind reader knows I'd be super grateful if you'd share the information.

So after all that preamble, here's the review. Listen, enjoy, and then throw Steve and Richard some money by buying the book.

Comments

Popular Posts