faust

I didn't write about Faust's gig on Wednesday at the Ruby Lounge yet. Partly because I didn't think I had much to say about it, and partly because I haven't had much time.

It was great, and probably would have been better if my friends had shut up about how good ATP was the previous weekend, the bastards. Although I did ask them, so it was kind of my fault.

Anyway, Faust. The stage was dominated by the drum/percussion/random bits of metal shit scaffold. In fact the stage is so small that's almost all there was. There were a lot of mics, and a table of electronics with many pedals, and some more metal shit propped up. The place was packed, and because the rhythms are so propulsive, started bouncing very quickly.

I wasn't a great fan of a guest singer/performer from Leeds whose name I've forgotten. He was kind of funny for ten seconds, but got old after that. He only performed on two songs that I remember though, so it wasn't a big deal.

Personally I think I would have liked a little more mess, a little more feedback, and a little more of the taking angle-grinders and chainsaw to lumps of metal. Not out of some misguided machismo, or desire for extremity, or because it plays to the performative, theatrical aspects of rock, but because sonically it's interesting.

I would advise you to see them live, if only because the one thing recordings can't convey is the impact of live drums. And the physical presence of the drums and their sound is crucial to the experience.

It was over in around ninety minutes which wasn't long enough at all.

Comments

Popular Posts