urban exploring eccles/weaste - full video

On Sunday I went for a walk expressly investigating what lies between Eccles New Road and the Ship Canal once you pass MediaCity and continue broadly west. For a time I worked nearby, but never had the time to explore that way.

There's a lot more I'd like to visit, but heading along Pacific Way just after the sewage treatment works the road lifted over a railway line heading out from a factory. I was pretty certain this was the single track I'd seen from a bridge on Eccles New Road.

There was plenty of time to look at the line and notice that there were bushes encroaching on it, and that the tracks looked dull rather than reflecting light. There was also a distinct footpath leading in their direction through the land to the side of the road.

Despite not having my camcorder I decided to go exploring and record the walk on my phone. On the way back I also made a quick Vine which I posted here on Sunday.

The section of railway was indeed unused, though it did join the main line further up. It was also the single line I'd previously crossed many times on Eccles New Road.

Since we're still early autumn everything was green and overgrown, and the weather was beautiful. It was an attractive, albeit quite short walk. There was some evidence that people use the land, and even walk dogs along the line.

Of course my walk from home in Whalley Range, and after the trek, along the line out to Centenary Bridge into Trafford Park and back home from there was considerably longer. I spotted a number of potential sites to visit on the journey back, and still have to complete my walk out west beyond where I turned off at Centenary Bridge.

I'd also like to return and record the fabulous sounds of the sewage treatment works. My phone's mic wouldn't really have been up to the task.

You can see my plotaroute map of the location and the short walk at this link, and my full video of the site below:


Comments

Popular Posts