bury international summer school 2014

20 Aug 14 Edit: updated with sketches made during the summer school, at the end of the post.

I may write about this in a little more detail later, but for now this post is mainly to link to the photos, videos, [sketches], and audio field recordings I made last week at Bury International Summer School.

The summer school ran from 11-18 August at Bury Art Gallery, and was led by Marianne Eigenheer, with Laura Köönikkä, Matt Moser-Clark and Natalia Fedorova.

As part of the week, an international biennial was discovered in the streets of Bury. More details can be found at Bury First International Biennial.

I was one of several people to participate in @theinfiniteidea's twitter project #Intimacy Project I: Artist Self Portraits in 12 Words. The tweets can be found here.

Almost all the material I recorded which follows is unmediated, so there will be roughness and mess. But if you're familiar with my aesthetic that won't be a surprise to you.

The audio I recorded is in two parts, a playlist and a single track, since the single track was too long to be posted on Audioboo.

The audio is all field recordings, mainly recorded in Bury.

Several of the interiors are in the Art Gallery, except for the Archive from the same building, the Bathroom recording from Bury Bus Station, Bury Mill Gate and Shop (which are what you'd expect, the shop being Wilkinsons), and the recording from Rogue Studios in Manchester.

The majority of exteriors are on the streets of Bury, except (I think) Wind, which was outside Rogue Studios.

The Tram sounds were recorded somewhere between Manchester and Bury.





The videos likewise are primarily from Bury, though this time I've put the location in the title of most of them.

Cornerhouse obviously means Cornerhouse Manchester. The other named videos: Barrels, Bins, Plastic blowing and Railings are all from Bury.



And finally a  A selection of photos I took through the week:



















Finally, the sketches I made through the week, which I forgot to post originally.

The majority were me returning to old ideas growing out of my earliest visual poems, that I'm now thinking of scaling-up, and perhaps also attempting as sculptural objects.

Some of the sketches for sculptural ideas came out of a presentation about his work from MattMoser-Clark (link waay up there in what's now the third paragraph).

Most of them, though, came from Marianne Eigenheer's presentation, and discussion of her drawings. See Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop for more, and particularly this pdf.

I thought about writing a little to accompany each, but it's not necessary, except that I'll separate out this sound drawing, sketched in response to sounds in the Art Gallery. I had to scan it in two sections and Frankenstein them together, so it looks a bit rougher than I'd like.


And the rest of them:
















Comments

Popular Posts