woven bushes

On Saturday I went down Pomona Strand just to take a walk.

While I was there I conceived the idea of taking a bush and weaving a kind of channel through it. Rather like this sketch after the fact.




That proved not to be possible. If I'd had something with me allowing me to cut partway through a branch, and perhaps some cord or wire to tie things together it might have been, though I suspect I'd have done a poor job.


Instead I decided to settle for an archway. Which inevitably ended up looking rather like the opening of a vagina. Again. Actually I'd really rather avoid this inadvertant theme in my work.


Having shown a few people the pictures later in the day I decided to return on Sunday and try something different. This time weaving several bushes into a line or circle if either were possible.

Unfortunately I couldn't find enough bushes sufficiently close together in the right configuration to make a circle or even a horseshoe possible. But returning to the bush from Saturday I was able to unweave the original creation and incorporate it into a line of bushes.

The first bit of film shows the bushes before I interfered with them:




This second piece of film shows the bushes after being woven:




I haven't yet returned to see how the bushes are doing. I tried to carry out the weaving without damage to the bushes.

In fact the bushes are entirely new growth since everything except the grass was cut down to the ground and shredded some time late last year (or possibly earlier this year).

Comments

Popular Posts