womb at kraak 2 sept 11 review

Starting at the end this was the best Womb gig to date. The group played a set of pure positive energy that fulfilled all the promise they've shown so far.

But let's look at the rest of the evening first. Womb for once were headlining and there were four other acts. I fucking hate that word 'acts' - but one of them was a singer/songwriter performing on his own so I can't say groups or bands.

That singer/songwriter was up first. I can't actually remember his name - and since I'm writing this on my phone and have no internet at home I can't look it up either. I'll check tomorrow in work and add his details then. Edit 6/9/11 - The artist in question was Jay Stansfield - see his blog here, and a more sympathetic view of his music here.
That way you'll be able to can look him up and check out his music for yourself. It did nothing for me, and wasn't surprising or interesting enough to overcome my chronic aversion to singer/songwriters.

In fact there was a period around the third song when I began to wonder if it wasn't a carefully crafted parody of the genre, and that I might be missing the point. I believe however that it was sincere.

If heartfelt but mild songs of love, life in the city and domestic quotidia swing your kitten then I'd recommend him. If not then have a listen and make up your own mind.

In the interests of fairness I should note that he was minus a drummer, and playing to a thin crowd who spent most of the set talking to each other. I believe at least one of his tracks on record was played out later and sounded more dynamic than I'd have expected.

But yeah, not my thing.

Politburo aren't really my thing either (I seem to have a problem with structured songs) but came much closer to persuading me they might be through sheer energy, skill at performing, and a more outgoing approach.

The presence of drums and bass helped, as did charisma and the slight visual oddness of the band. Also the fact that there were more people around. Nontheless I would be happy to see them perform again.

Salford Media City were next up. In all honesty I would have had them fourth or perhaps headlining. They very quickly had people dancing. The music was both complex and layered, and had the beats to move you.

With two main voices giving the songs a more varied texture than you'd normally expect, and with saxophone doing more interesting things than saxophone usually does, the sound had a greater variety and colour than you'd otherwise expect.

The group were visually diverse too - from the soberly dressed sax player through the more colourful drummer to the androgynous and pretty bass player there was a lot going on.

You may have noticed I haven't spoken in much detail about the sound of any act so far. That's partly because I don't remember - it was a long night, I was dancing, and... well anyway - and partly because my technical knowledge and useful vocabulary are sadly deficient.

I really enjoyed Salford Media City. They were much better than the last time I saw them when they were bloody good. I danced through the set because the music genuinely moved me - both the beats and the other sounds happening, some of which were genuinely unexpected.

Although they're different bands operating in different genres there's a similarity to the most recent gig I saw Cryptic Salve Band play at Gullivers the previous Saturday 27 August. There CSB seemed to step outside of genre - there were the beats physically moving you, the screamed vocals, and the heavy infernal swirling of the guitar helping the whole thing lift off.

It was similar with what I suppose I'm now compelled to abbreviate as  SMC. The beats set you moving, the voices structured your perception of the songs, and the other instruments roared and ebbed filling in the spaces, adding colour and making the songs complete.

I loved it - they were excellent. It also fuelled a slight anxiety - I love Womb but were they ready for a headlining slot? With Salford Media City on that kind of form could they step up and deliver something good enough?

I had a while to wait because there was another band to play first. Krystal & The Pistols. I missed a lot of the first half of their set because I... well never mind - a few of us went for chips.

Krystal & The Pistols played a kind of Balkan-influenced, energetic, fun, world music for parties. They played it with great skill and evident enthusiasm. I danced and had a fucking great time.

And you already know there's a 'but' coming. It's thoroughly enjoyable and hard to resist - but... - but you can really only listen to so much before you need a break or a bit of variety.

The set was about the right length, the band were likeable, and the music fun. I will dance to them again and have a great time next time I see them. But by the time they were done I was as ready to see Womb as I've ever been.

Womb hit a beat pretty much straight away bolstered by bass and then let it shift and mutate while the music stretched and writhed inside and around the beats. Toward the end of the first half they slipped imperceptibly into what seemed to be a syncopated rhythm.

The vocals were prominent in the mix and really excellent this time. I've always been impressed by the vocals of Stephanie (who was there) and Whitney (who wasn't), but everyone else who approached the mic did something pretty special this time.

A found violin and knackered bow produced some nice sounds and textures in addition to the more usual pianophone and percussion. The keyboards provided both structure at times when it was needed and some harsh snarling when that was needed.

There were too many changes for me to keep track of even if I hadn't had chips and been dancing like I wanted to fly. Because the music was just pure ecstatic happy energy exploding from the stage and through the audience. I wanted clap my hands in delight. I wanted to jump up and down. I wanted to shout out in pleasure. I wanted to fall over. I wanted to laugh. I wanted to cry. I wanted to strip off my clothes and dance with everyone there.

That good.

It moved a couple of women to join in. Both Marlene from Gnod and briefly someone I've met a few times who I think is called Jen joined on the keyboard - Marlene persuaded to get onstage and take up the bass.

This was in the second half after the drums had changed a couple of times - taking on interesting patterning and textual roles while bass and keyboards filled out the rest of the rhythm, and saxophone provided some structure.

I know I often give the impression Womb's music is unsophisticated Dionysian rhythms with pounding tribal beats to keep you moving. It really isn't - it's a lot cleverer, better structured, more nuanced and layered than that. There is that element of the ecstatic, expressive, shamanic, transcendental - but this is a group of individuals. They have varying abilities and approaches and improvise rhythms, music and sound-textures together. When it works it's good.

When the group's inhibitions about playing in public are lowered - by headlining, by having the time they need, by having an appreciative crowd, by their growing assurance and confidence - they find something incredibly special. The feedback between members of the band, the audience, the space and the music becomes wholly positive.

Seriously. Tomorrow I'll link you to the soundcloud recording of the gig and you can fucking check it for yourself.

Edit 6/9/11 Here! Here! Get your ears round this! Womb Soundcloud recording of the gig.

I haven't danced like that at a Womb gig before. Of course eventually it had to end, and somewhere around 40-45 minutes later it did, leaving me high and happy. I remember hugging Genette, Lou, Jen, Fiona and Helen - around half the group on the night - and telling each of them it was easily the best set so far.

Credit also to the rest who didn't get hug-bombed - Sian, Stephanie, Emily, and of course Marlene and the other Jen (I hope I haven't missed anyone).

I still feel really happy and elevated from it even now.

Listen - Womb are going somewhere really special. They've been great before but this was a huge leap on. Catch them when you can - you won't regret it.

Phew. Better stop before I explode. But just aaarrrggghhh!!! Wooommmbbbb!!! Yes yes yes!

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Comments

Popular Posts