new york diary part eight

The final part. The flight home and Saturday in Manchester.

Changes and omissions in square brackets.

The other parts
http://santiagosdeadwasp.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-york-diary-part-one.html

http://santiagosdeadwasp.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-york-diary-part-two.html

http://santiagosdeadwasp.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-york-diary-part-three.html

http://santiagosdeadwasp.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-york-diary-part-four.html

http://santiagosdeadwasp.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-york-diary-part-five.html

http://santiagosdeadwasp.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-york-diary-part-six.html

http://santiagosdeadwasp.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-york-diary-part-seven.html

[15/10/10 Evening]
Suspect that although I'd hoped to complete this notebook on this trip it probably won't happen. Not much more I can think of to write and no point in forcing something that's not there.

Until now I've barely thought of Manchester. Definitely not the concrete physical details of it. Some of that will of course be nice to get back to. A lot of these things though have parallels or different but equal pleasures almost anywhere. What matters more are the people there, and your own attitude.

What I hope above all is it's a nice day, I've managed to get sopme sleep, and the foliage hasn't gone and the scene turned to winter in my absence.

Must be about to board now.

Toddler who earlier on was being towed on his small wheeled luggage trunk now runs off pulling it behind him.

While woman struggles pushing heavy trolley of [duty free goods in bags] a colleague walking behind her jokes 'You're drifting' while reading a book called something like Business Japanese.

Boarding begins with some generally indistinct announcements although they get more audible later.

On board - again a painless process - it's another aisle seat on the right of the plane. An exit seat which means not a brilliant view especially if the other two seats get filled. Nice to watch the lights and the plane and baggage movements outside.

Feeling quite tired. Whether it's the power of suggestion or just that I haven't used my brain much and spent a lot of time [today] sitting round I can't say.

Already the trip, the performance, the hostel feel remote. Like a dream. Of course the details and physical facts some of which are in my journal are beyond anything I could dream.

But I am extremely glad I made the trip and it won't be the last.

Yeah, absolutely no view out possible tight, left or looking backwards. That's a real downer for the flight back. Unless when there's light outside I can make out anything through the tiny port in the exit.

Delayed by around 45 minutes, Rain outside here.

Managed to get some sleep so far although the seat is massively uncomfortable. Sleep has actually been pretty easy. Still dark outside. Suspect I may need a little sleep when I get home.

Trying to think what I'll miss most. I don't believe it'll be any particular place or object or different way of doing things. I think instead it's just the fact of being somewhere else, of living in a different way.

Not enough time.

I've had a great time. It's impossible to feel bad for long when you've had such a good holiday.

On take-off was able to catch glimpses through the port in the door of New York jewelled at night. First just the lights and thinking they looked golden. Then seeing how clearly they lay in a grid.

As a way of dizing off been walking myself around parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan I know reasonably well.

[16/10/10 Morning]
A little blue outside now. Around an hour and a half left.

Later beautiful white clouds outside below. Ruffled and regular like soft snow or a gathering of cotton.

Through the port in the exit things outside fringed orange yellow above purple blue below.

The clouds now a lot more broken up. Softer. A lot more blue between them.

I have about given up on sleep now although still a bit tired. Once again no real sense of motion.

As we came in at first Manchester was just buildings. But then approaching the airport spaces opened up and gradually green took over. Sheep in the fields. Sunshine on the ground.

Although now at 10:20 having got through security and baggage claim easily and waiting for the train it's clouded up and feels cold. At least until I get on the train. But it is actually colder than New York.

I'll walk back from Oxford Road station so I should be home 11:30 ish (train leaves 10:41, stops at Piccadilly first). Then I'll nip out for groceries unless I pick them up on the way and have a shower. Though the cloud is really piling up so I might get wet.

On the way in I was reading through the journal so far. Even the bits I thought were messy and didn't work do actually convey quite a lot. What I'm pleased about is that I've managed not to restrain myself. Where I wanted to write about personal matters and friends I've done so as clearly as I can instead of simply leaving it out or obfuscating. Much easier to write what I feel and then omit it when I post it online than to write in code.

As I started that paragraph I thought the clouds were breaking up. There was blue sky and sunshine but it looks like that might have been false promise. Although I think it's just unpredictable.

Despite that there are still leaves on the trees, still flowers and fruits so I haven't come back to winter. [Omitted]

Was thinking I don't plan to do much today. But then thought it might be fun to go for a bike ride. It'll remind me of some of the things I like about Manchester. But after I've got home, eaten, had a coffee and showered.

What a fantastic opportunity it was. To perform in New York and have the performance documented. I'd say that shows a lot of faith in me to agree to let me do it. I hope I managed to justify that faith.

Although I guess the risk on my part was greater. I paid for the trip, I tried something performatively I've never done before and wasn't sure would work, and risked making a public fool of myself in front of an audience with no prior knowledge of my work.

In fact I don't know yet that I didn't make a public fool of myself. I haven't listened to the audio yet or seen the video shot during the performance.

The guys at the Institute seemed positive but I don't think they'd tell me I sucked to my face after I made quite an effort to get there. This is why it'll be interesting to check out the documentation and perhaps get some feedback from other people.

[16/10/10 Afternoon]
An easy trip back. At home I bought groceries, ate, showered, had a much needed wank after six days without, checked emails and opened letters then headed out for a bike ride along the Trans-Pennine Trail. Not too far, just beyond Altrincham to get some exercise some air and to see some of the things I like about this country.

Tonight if I have time I'll download the audio and photos, scan the larger notebook and some of the other bits and pieces, and try to do another blog entry.

I should also look for audio hosting sites where I can place both my London recordings and the New York audio. Preferably make them downloadable. [Omitted for being boring]

I did manage to see video footage of my shorter London piece. It includes a moment of jaw-dropping Jarvis [Cocker]-esque microphone flouncing that was totally unconscious. [Omitted]

Okay, half an hour on this bench is enough. It's sunny but I'm getting cold and it'll be five when I get back in about an hour.

[Strangely there's a sadness at finishing the documentation of this trip. It's as though the last bit of it has slipped out of reach. Back to normal business I suppose.]

Comments

Anonymous said…
"I should also look for audio hosting sites where I can place both my London recordings and the New York audio. Preferably make them downloadable."

archive.org - it's so obvious I can't beleive I never thought of it before!

Maybe even see if Ian from Electronik Music might want to release them?

gggg

Popular Posts