manchester blog awards + cleaves journal

For those of you who might be interested and have £4 (£3 concessions) to spare, a number of bloggers including me will read sections from our blogs (around 5 minutes each) during the Manchester Blog Awards at Band on the Wall this Wednesday 21 October. It kicks off at 7. It should be an easy night, someone else is certain to win in my category (Best Writing on a Blog - I'd say My Shitty Twenties is front runner), so I can chill out and enjoy the evening.

Another interesting poetry thing happening too. Harry Godwin has launched a new poetry publication broken into English regions (and some non-English outposts), called Cleaves. I was tipped off initially by Richard Barrett - the first editor for the North West. Today Openned have also published details of the project.

My only real question is why no wider UK? I'm sure that linguistically innovative, or other interesting non-mainstream work is being produced in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. From personal experience I can only speak about Wales where I'm pretty sure with the urban density and relative proximity to London and Bristol of the south, the universities, and organisations and centres like Academi (with Peter Finch's involvement) and Chapter that Cardiff, Newport and beyond must have some demand for linguistically innovative writing - possibly even some kind of a scene bubbling under the usual mainstream dreck. If you know anything about this please let me know, I try to get back to Cardiff fairly regularly and I'm interested in what's going on. I'm also happy to publicise anything that might be going on.

Comments

hjgodwin said…
Hi Matt,

Due to the nature of the project, these areas haven't been excluded, I have just failed to find anyone in those areas.

Scotland are included - only because Jow Lindsay/Joseph Walton has moved up there.

I plan for the journal to grow with each issue and encourage anyone who knows of anything happening somewhere not included to get in touch with me.
Matt Dalby said…
Harry, thanks for clarifying that. I thought it might well be the case. To be honest if you asked me to name areas of activity much beyond the northwest and London/south east I'd struggle really badly.

I do hope someone manages to identify things happening elsewhere. Good luck with Cleaves, as I said, I think it's potentially pretty important.

Popular Posts