new figures in studio scans

Yesterday I mentioned sketches of the new clay figures from the studio.

I already posted the initial sketches that led to the creation of the first figures. The sketches mentioned yesterday were initially used to work out where holes could be placed in the figures.

These sketches are on the first two pages scanned below. In the upper part of the first page are some sketches for decoration of the second of the clay masks I'm working on. There'll be more on this soon - having broken up the last attempt at the second mask I've just started making it again.

The sketches of the figures should be relatively easy to interpret. Where the holes are dark it signifies they are in just one side of the figure. Where they are not shaded it signifies they are in both sides of the figures. The fourth sketch of the group of figures on the first page and the final one on the second page showing exploded views show front and back in the same sketch.


The ticks against the figures are from Monday when I was checking that I had completed each of the planned figures.

The final figure was sketched in a different pen on a different day because when I was doing my initial planning to see how many variants using just circular holes in head and/or chest I could create I forgot all about a featureless figure.


The final set of sketches - from 5 March - show that even before I'd started on the final eight figures I was planning how they might be displayed.

They still very much represent my thinking. That the figures could have ribbons spilling from their cavities, could be linked by ribbons, or could be wrapped in ribbons.


It was also suggested that sounds could be drawn from the figures. I hadn't considered that at first, but it is possible. Contact mics inside the figures will generate sound if the figures are tapped or scraped. It should also be possible using vocal or drum mics to generate feedback from the body cavity of most of the figures.

As I mentioned in my previous post they are currently drying (and taking up most of my workspace) - but it's worth thinking ahead. In fact with these and the second mask all drying across the next couple of weeks I also need a new project to get on with...

Comments

Popular Posts