final batch of ) th good /old w~ay - 175-180

The final set of cards from ) TH GOOD /OLD W~AY - 175-180 - has now been documented at Andrew Taylor's tumbr blog along with some nice comments from Andrew.

As usual the cards have been documented on Andrew's flickr account here. The full set starts here.

I have to say in a lot of ways I'm glad that the sequence is over. Creating the poem letter by letter with tweezers and tiny rubber type has been pretty arduous, and I'm glad to have more time to get on with both sound work and larger sculptural pieces.

On the other hand it's been fun creating a text piece without worrying about it as a text piece. As previously mentioned my approach has been more sculptural than textual. This was very much helped by listening to friends who suggested that rather than pre-composing stanzas (as I did with stanzas 3-12) I should write each stanza on the stamp.


This final batch was finished the same evening as the preceding set 169-174 but held back as I planned to put in a final set of six cards to thank Andrew for his documentation. These would have their own band, be in a paper bag with the main set, have their own numbering, and stand separately from the main poem.

I originally planned a series of collage pieces, or something resembling Tom Philips' A Hummument, but the pieces I produced were terrible. So I went back to the stamp - which to be honest I'd hoped to avoid - and created the additional cards.

According to Andrew's blog he's going to keep that set to himself. This is exactly what I'd hoped for, although I left the decision to Andrew. Those cards are in fact completely unique since I didn't make a second copy or proof them.

Comments

Popular Posts