canal - august cd-r here now

Who needs tasteful? Today's two hour session, the fourth, finally produced things good enough for August's CD-R. I started by recording myself on a couple of tape recorders. On the conventional cassette recorder I read out randomly selected extracts from four magazines. On the microcassette recorder I talked about making sound. Aside from field recordings on my iPod and portable digital recorder and a circuit bent radio that was the entirety of my sound sources. Limiting things in that way worked really well. Except for the first attempt to record something when the cassette recorder and radio failed. But after that, with tapes played too slow or too fast, with noises generated by playing with connections, and by not attempting to make things fit together a much more interesting and lively set of tracks got finished.

So, the CD is called Canal and features four tracks, Tread, Decay, Shiver and Gnaw. Tread and Shiver are almost tasteful soundscapes except that they get pretty messy. Decay and Gnaw are either complete shit or the best thing I've recorded in ages. The whole thing lasts just over 43 minutes. The cover will be plain with information stamped on. It'll be available through PayPal tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts