in the dirty clay - new tear fet album

'in the dirty clay', now available from Bandcamp, is an album I've planned to make for close to a decade. Not these exact tracks, not this exact title, but a set of songs I know from folk artists I grew up with. Several times I've chosen a set of songs, even started recording, but was never able to complete anything that satisfied me.

This time though I didn't choose the songs beforehand, but let them suggest themselves. And so they did, and in doing so a theme of sorts emerged. Landlords and bosses.

Now, while this was meant to be a collection of traditional songs, in the end only one of them is, John Barleycorn. Three Score and Ten, and Trimdon Grange are both old songs, but each has a named author. The remainder are more recent. But all are songs my parents played, and which burrowed into my mind.

I hope you'll enjoy these songs as much as I do and seek out the recordings that I learned from.




Comments

Popular Posts