greater manchester boundary walk leg one

Around three or four weeks ago I decided, that with Tier 3 Covid-19 restrictions coming into force in Greater Manchester I'd walk around the inside of the region's boundary. For various reasons, however, I didn't get to start until yesterday. The walk will have to be done in several legs, since I walk from home to my start point then back from my end point.

I'm not using an official route, this is one that I'm creating for myself week by week. I've screenshot a map showing the Greater Manchester boundary, and I'm using that in combination with OS maps and Google Maps to plan each walk, mainly sticking to roads.

My probably optimistic guess is that it might take eight walks to complete the circuit. If that is accurate, and assuming I can do one walk each weekend, and can walk on 24 December (which I'm taking as holiday), I should be able to finish by Christmas, though I'm not especially concerned if it takes longer.

Yesterday's first walk inside the boundary (leaving out going to and from home) started in Marple and ended just inside the boundary between Handforth and Heald Green. The walk out to Marple was 3 hours 12 minutes, the walk home from where I joined Wilmslow Road heading north was 2 hours 47 minutes. That meant just under six hours of a ten hour and nine minute walk was simply getting to and from the actual route I'm following. In some of the coming weeks those parts of the walk will be closer to four hours, reducing the distance I can cover.

Expect interactive maps for each of my future walks as I progress slowly around Greater Manchester back to Marple.

Comments

Popular Posts