live vocal improvisation performance fri 12 october

Today's live vocal improvisation performance was a story of two halves.

When I started I was just making noises at random, it seemed over-familiar, nothing hung together or made any sense. So I think a couple of minutes into the performance I closed my eyes and started to think of a place.

I can detect an actual change in the sense of intent behind the sounds I'm making - and I was just listening back, I wasn't watching the video. That said, the sounds change again when I start to create a narrative of sort. Which in this case simply meant mentally walking myself through various locations from outside Manchester back to the centre.

At the same time I was listening to the sounds and trying to make sure they hung together, even at moments when the logic of the sounds and the narrative of the walk drifted apart.

I'm sure none of that means anything to anyone who isn't me. Still, you can hear the performance below. You can watch it as well - it's one of the more physically dynamic performances I've done in this series.


Comments

Popular Posts