matt's big m60 walk

So, I'm planning to walk around the M60 on Saturday 30 May this year. At present I'm planning the route that will be taken; so far around 1 hour and 20 minutes of a projected 12 hours has been settled on.

While I will be raising money for charity the two real reasons for this walk are: first, I fancy the challenge; and second, I want to use the time to create some art. This is likely to be in the form of sound and video recordings, but honestly I don't really know.

In order to ensure I complete the walk the date has been set, a JustGiving page established, and a blog to track the progress of my preparations.

The JustGiving page is short, to the point, and easily digestible. There are regular updates, limited to 280 characters, you'll be pleased to hear. It's obviously also the page where people can donate.

For longer and more discursive posts, taking in autobiographical fragments, aesthetic reflections, and much more detail on my motivations, planning the route, and anything else which strikes me you can dip into Matt's big M60 walk blog.

If you'd like to donate, please visit the JustGiving page. If you'd like to join me for a section of my ridiculous endeavour then leave a message, or email me with the subject line Matt's big M60 walk query.

After the photo, my first journal entry from the blog.

Edit: I also now have a twitter for the project: @MattsBigM60Walk




A couple of weeks ago now I decided on a project that dates back at least a year. The intention is to walk around the M60, Manchester’s orbital motorway.

There are a lot of steps that led here, but one main cause. Before I get into that though I should note one important thing: I intend to undertake the walk barefoot (1).

That element of being barefoot dates back over a month to the first of the immediate causes of my decision to do this walk.

Inspired by an online video review of Gus Van Sant’s Gerry (2) – both the commentary and the clips chosen to illustrate it – I set out on a walk with the intention of filming my own feet at some stage. I’d probably been walking over an hour when I overcame my self-consciousness, and reached what I thought was reasonably diverse terrain. It was also a place where I knew I could get a good duration of filming done.

There’s not much to say about the filming – it went as you’d expect. I walked with the camcorder pointed at my feet, and after around 12 minutes I stopped recording. Although there was a happy accident when I reached the end of filming.

The intention was to find a place to stop, lift the camera across the river and up to the sky, and close with the sun blaring into the lens. Had I managed this it would have been hackneyed and uninteresting. Perhaps I would have edited it out, but as circumstances had it I didn’t need to.

The day was overcast, with the sun making only occasional appearances. At the point where I chose to stop there are a couple of built structures jutting out into the Mersey. I walked down on to one of them, , raised the camera past the reflections on the river, past the the opposite bank and into the sky. And there I had to settle on featureless cloud.

To my mind that made a far more satisfactorily anti-climactic end to the shot, and a better reflection of the day, the time of year, and the narrative of the piece. It was inconclusive and blank (3).

A week or so later, on Pomona Island I did another – more planned, and longer – walk, again filming my feet. This time barefoot. It took around 16 minutes and was cold, painful and wet. Even at such a short duration, and with only a short time on road and pavement, I walked slowly and gingerly. I was very happy to get my socks and shoes back on (4).

It’s clear that the near 60km walk around the M60 is going to require some training, and may turn out impossible to complete barefoot.

Aside from the damage to my feet, the biggest challenge I can see in the walk is organising it. I’m not very good at getting things done, and a previous endurance walk last year never got past the stage of being talked about.

At least this time I’ve managed to buy a map. And it shows both the whole M60, and the footpaths and other routes available. I have also started this diary in the hope that it will shame/motivate me into carrying through with the walk.

There remain a number of things to do, in particular to walk the route (5) in stages over the next few weeks. This will allow me to get used to reading the map, begin to familiarise myself with the route, work out how long it takes to walk the route in shoes (it will take longer barefoot), and identify anything that hasn’t occurred to me as a potential challenge yet (6).

Separately I need to start practicing barefoot walks, and building up how long I can walk that way. I should also use these walks to make an estimate of how long the full circuit is likely to take.

While doing the walk I plan to make art. Once again I haven’t yet decided quite how. Practicality suggests – since the walk even in shoes will take around 12 hours – that I’ll be better doing things that don’t require me to stop. So filming and audio recording rather than making objects, writing or drawing.

In fact I have a long history of making art while out walking. In my teens and early twenties, when I was still living in the countryside with my parents and siblings, it was common for me to create [in this way].

Most of the time it was the kind of thing most people probably wouldn’t regard as art. Namely making up poems and songs in my head, or more often conducting imaginary interviews with myself – usually out loud. I very rarely took a notepad with me, and when I did often forgot to write in it. And what I wrote while I walked, or wrote afterwards from memory, seemed clumsy and inert on the page, where it had sparkled at the moment of creation.

It didn’t occur to me until many years later that the problem wasn’t me, or the writing (or not always). Rather the problem was context. Many of the ideas – words, phrases, extended passages – were really performances, improvisations. They existed in and for that moment and situation. By writing them down, by trying to arrange them into conventional shapes, I was deforming and breaking them.

But it wasn’t just word. I used chalk or stones I’d found lying around, to draw on dark stone and slate. I drew in snow using my feet, sticks, or piss. I made small constructions of sticks. I arranged stones in circles, mazes and patterns. All of these were intended to wash away, or be kicked and dislodged leaving no trace behind.

(1) While this was the original intention, as of February I have doubts whether it’s possible. I’m training with the intention of walking barefoot, but it’s more important to me that I complete the walk – even if that’s in shoes.

(2) Despite the film being over 12 years old, and looking right up my arthouse alley, I still haven’t seen it. The review I’m referring to is here – http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/brows-held-high-gerry-redux-7100623

(3) The resulting video, Thoughts, is on my YouTube channel at – http://youtu.be/rseoT_LHFAI

(4) The video is called Place, and you can watch it at – http://youtu.be/0iOtnav6isY

(5) So far as I’m aware there is no established route for such a walk, so I’m having to create my own. Part of the challenge is deciding whether to walk my circuit outside the M60 or inside, or perhaps straying between the two. At present I’m leaning toward the latter, a combination of walking inside and outside the orbital road.

(6) One potential problem is crossing the M60. I suffer from acrophobia, fear of heights, and I’d far rather find somewhere I can pass under the road than over the top of it, where there’s a need to cross. I already know that parts of Salford, and around Whitefield are problematic for me.

Comments

Popular Posts