reflects - a song... sort of

Well, it's not especially sophisticated musically, but then I'm not a musician.

On Wednesday night after work I went for a three and a half hour walk, much of it along canals and in Chorlton Nature Reserve.

On the way I started to compose this - well, what I guess I'll have to call a song for want of a better word. Really it's a sequence of short phrases looped and layered. I accumulated additional phrases in the two days following, and improvised further phrases when it came to recording.

The recording is different than my recent work. I very much enjoy noise. Not just in terms of volume and non-musical sounds and sound-sources, but also in terms of noisy (hissy, distorted etc) recordings. That strategy wasn't going to suit this piece.

So rather than push the vocals through a guitar amp and record from a digital recorder placed in front of it, which is my normal approach, I ran the mic through the LoopStation and from there straight to my Boss Micro BR digital recorder where I recorded the song.

The recorder then output via a portable mixing board through the amp so I could monitor how it was sounding.

This meant that while the voice is much cleaner than usual (and there's none of the noise associated with connecting the LoopStation to the mixing board) the recording is also a lot quieter.

In preparing the song I created 6 channels in Garage Band, two left, two right, and two in the middle. All had the volume close to the maximum but not quite, simply to suppress noise while making sure the track was audible. In creating the video I then boosted the volume again. And that's about it.

Comments

Popular Posts