time in the studio

Spent quite a bit of time in the studio the last couple of evenings.

There are three pieces underway at the moment - although the first of them is more or less done with.

This is the ridiculously vaginal sculptural form I've finally started painting. It seems completely absurd that I could make the form without realising what it looked like but that's actually what happened.


The second of my clay masks is having the first of its two faces created at present. It will be covered with the clay feathers you see beginning to be added below. Quite a nice shot actually - the first mask behind to the right, the graves piece in the background on the other side, and the clay idols also on the left.

Anyway, it's a little ambiguous as to whether the feathers are feathers or scales, but I'm not especially concerned by that. It does look a bit Homer Simpson with the area round the mouth darker. In this case obviously because it's wet.


I posted a day or two ago about the 'crows' piece. I've created five of the forms now, four of which are hung from a garden cane. A close up of one of the forms below.


Below are three of the forms and the cane they're attached to. The canes I'm currently using are too short - which means I'll have to buy some longer ones somewhere.


I am happy with how this is coming together - especially with the materials being so cheap and simple. I'm still not sure how many forms to make, how many canes I'll need, or how they'll be presented.

There are compelling reasons for keeping it minimal and at a distance, but also for making a small forest of the things and surrounding people with them. It's something more to think about.


On top of which I just finished a poem after about a week and a half fooling about with it. No idea if it's any cop, and won't post it here just yet.

Comments

Popular Posts