latest sculptural form in studio

Here are some photos of the latest sculptural form I'm working on in the studio.

As you can see it's rather vaginal. This wasn't intentional - but it's how it came out.


For once there are no sketches or notes from the planning stage. There was no planning stage. Around two weeks ago I was playing around with the remainder of my chicken wire and hit on a form I was happy with by accident.


My only thoughts were that I would use the whole of the chicken wire, that I would use a double layer to give thickness, and that I wanted curves - particularly curves turning back on themselves.


The result was an organic-looking, almost plant-like form. That became more vaginal the more I looked at it.


These photos are from this evening before I added another two layers of paper. I think they may be the last layers of paper. The next stage will be to add bandages and plaster rather in the way I did with my grave forms piece last year.


Incidentally that bit of black in the bottom photo is Louise Woodcock's dog Jasper.

Once the bandages and plaster have been added and have set I plan to paint the piece in a strong, vile colour. Or perhaps in two colours - one for the inside and 'labia' and one for the outside.

I'll document the further stages as they happen.

Comments

Popular Posts