music + words

Tribulation
Been listening again to Skullflower's Tribulation, a brilliant record you ought to check out, and one that's only narrowly avoided being reviewed here over the last five weeks or so.

There was a write-up in a recent Wire which described Matthew Bower's sound in some of his projects as 'laminated', which seems like a handy summation of the sound of this record. In a sense if the tracks on Hototogisu's Prayer Rug Exorcism (recently mentioned here) are an apparently more unstructured mix of small elements bubbling together and periodically taking turns at prominence then Tribulation's tracks are more like tectonic plates or ice-sheets shifting together. Or indeed even more like laminated layers sliding in relation to one another. That's not to suggest that Prayer Rug Exorcism is more protean and dynamic, or that Tribulation is static and conservative, just that they're different.

Personally there are two stand-out tracks on Tribulation, Black Wind and Dying Venice. Black Wind is possibly the most uncharacteristic and conventionally "melodic" of the tracks, but we're talking degrees here. What makes it comparatively conventional is the regular rhythmic pulsing of sound that runs right through the track - unusually you could almost hum this one. Dying Venice by contrast is much more de-centred. But there are non-verbal vocalisations or at least voice-like sounds threaded through the track that make it quite an uncanny listen at volume, or alone, or on headphones. It certainly makes its way into your head in what can be a quite disturbing way. That said, you can also play a fun game with Dying Venice. Listen to it (preferably on headphones) whilst watching a DVD of your choice (or TV if you must) with the sound off, and you'll find that the vocalisations start to coincide with people speaking. What's more your brain starts to conjecture words they might be saying based on these partial and actually incommensurate pieces of information. Possibly not reccommended if you're high and feeling a bit fragile.

Waiting now for records by Corsano-Flower Duo and Keiji Haino to be despatched and delivered. (15/5/8 Many months later the Keiji Haino CD is now allegedly due 23-27 May 08 - in the meantime I've downloaded a number of his records)

Celebration
Although the formal offer hasn't arrived in the post yet Santiago got offered a place on a part-time creative writing MA he'd applied for. That will be at Bolton and begins in October. Last year after interview another university said no, so it was a nice surprise to be offered the place at interview this time.

Comments

Bolton huh? Sweet...

Dude, sorry I haven't been in touch in like forever. All I can say in my defence is that I'm a terrible terrible person.

Hang on, that's not a defence...

Skullflower are fucking cool. I'm all over the soulseek network snarfing mp3s like a ravenous bunyip.

Things seem to be picking up a bit of speed in the city of 'nuff cctv, at least in my overextended circle of friends. I'm setting up a new blog in an effort to document the various creative outputs I see around me. There's nothing there at the moment though. I'm writing poetry again with almost adolescent ferocity. I'm open micing at chapter tonight with my friend Darren playing guitar over spoken word. Actually, last night me, him and a guy called Stew turned a poem I wrote like 5 years ago into a pretty kick ass song.

Anyway, hope things is cool in general. Congratulations on yr acceptance at Bolton, although it does seem that you are inching further and further north. Do we smell or something?

x = Adam = x
Matt Dalby said…
Dude, y'all smell like roses and pine-fresh forest fragrance. Besides I'm staying in Manchester, it's just like one evening a week. Truth is if I hadn't got in I might've thought about moving back to Wales.

Anyhow, I'll try give you a ring sometime. Also planning to get down t'Cardiff end April/start May-ish. If I get my shit together.

Popular Posts