like an old time preacher

Just got back in Manchester after five days visiting friends in Cardiff, and having not slept in a proper bed for a week, feeling really refreshed. Thanks to everyone I saw down there, I had a great time and come back feeling a sight clearer about a lot of things.

What also helped of course was that I came back to a letter accepting some poems for publication for once. I'll let you know what and where nearer the time. Another nice thing was stopping off to buy some lunch on my walk back from the station and having a nice conversation with the person behind the counter. Hey, this holiday stuff works, I'll have to do it again some time. It was particularly good as I hadn't washed my hair in like five days, changed my shirt in three, or even had a shower that day, so you can imagine I'm feeling pretty grimy after 3 and a half hours on the train.

Man, it's all love today - don't worry, I'll be back on the trail next time, I'm writing an attack on Premiership foootballers. I'm getting heavy into my rhetoric and rhythms at the moment. Partly cos it's one of the influences on the blues/rock n roll/country/dylan/guthrie/leadbelly/etc that I grew up with (alongside the folk, which has its own affinities), partly because a bunch of songs featured in a dance thing I saw recently, partly cos it's in the rhythms of some comedians, I bought and have been getting heavily into a 3CD collection of old time gospel songs. There's going to be some atheist gospel song poetry making an appearance real soon - keep an eye out for it.

Stay well, I'll see you soon

Comments

Popular Posts