new year's eve

... or Pomona Strand in winter I guess.

Nine minutes of unprocessed field recording. Traffic noise, bird song, fireworks, trams. Traffic noise is present pretty much everywhere outside when you record in Manchester.


And this? I'm not too sure. Two trees lashed together. Maybe that loop of rope is a swing. Or perhaps they're the basis of some sort of shelter.


The top...


...and the loop of rope.


Walking around was difficult today. A lot of the small trees and bushes at the edge over the water had been cut down and left to lie where they were. Effectively blocking the path unless I walked on the outside of the fence. But it was damp and slippery and I didn't want to spend the whole time there.

But in a lot of places coming away from the edge was no easier since it was thick with blackberry bushes. Both old and newer growth.


Although I adjusted the white balance everything in these photos looks a lot redder, a lot less blue than it appeared to me.


I had no plan as to where I was going or what I'd do. I just wanted to get some pictures and start making field recordings again. Just as writing's been difficult for a time I also haven't been that enthusiastic about making sound recently. Mainly because I'm becoming aware how limited my skills are. Although that said I'm enjoying listening to Canal from August 2009 and may make it freely available here at some point.


Gates. No really, they are.


This would appear to be looking at tram tracks. I didn't shin up to have a check though.


Then I gradually started to make for home. There are always things you haven't seen before. Or that you haven't seen before from that side.

This morning I signed up for a partly online TEFL course. I'm finally able to start my preparations for China. I'm also starting to take steps to learn Mandarin although I don't expect to make much progress. But with a few residency applications sent off and beginning to solidify my itinerary with the aid of a well known travel guidebook it feels like things are beginning to happen.


Tonight I'll be out at Islington Mill. I'm not back in work until Tuesday.

My time at work is limited. The intention in any case was to quit this spring/summer and go travelling. But with lease breaks coming up at the Preston and Manchester offices the decision has been taken to relocate both in a crown estate building in Bootle. For admin staff like me this means that we will have to leave.

The civil service is obliged to try and find us alternative employment within a more reasonable travelling distance. The chances of this being possible at present with government departments downsizing is quite remote.

But there is a quite strong chance that Manchester's relocation will be later than I want to leave meaning that I'll miss out on the voluntary early release payment. Which is irritating for me but good for the other staff who will get a higher payment because of the later date.

Oh look! More gates.

Comments

Popular Posts