further documenting of the space

This is briefer than I thought it would be. As well as documenting the physical space, and my stuff in it, I'm also documenting the work I'm undertaking.

The visual poem boxes are my main ongoing work, and are well documented elsewhere, as well as featuring in photos of the desk in the space.

Immediately below are two photos of a pigeon's leg I've stuck in salt, in the absence of any proper preservative or better idea. I plan to use it at some point, although I'm not entirely sure how just yet.



Although I don't want at this stage to write a large amount about the project photographed below, because it will be subject to change, the background to it is worth commenting on.

Having worked almost exclusively in cramped domestic spaces until now, and with most of my work being in text and sound, I initially found the space intimidating. The first couple of days I worked exclusively on the visual poem boxes. But then I realised that there was a large part of the space that was going unused.

To address that I dragged out my street cutlery - around 37 items now - and began to think of ways I might display it. Some ideas - suspending the work from the ceiling, placing upright in wooden blocks, arranging in a circle I rejected as too obvious. Instead I came up with another idea I'll document in detail at a later time. However, these photos from early in my developing the idea might give a few clues - although the final work will look a lot different from this.

In a sense it doesn't actually matter if the work itself is ever finished, or in no way resembles anything I've conceived so far. The significance was more in beginning to expand and occupy the space. In this it also fits with some of the personal things that have been happening in my life. I'd already begun to relax, and even like myself, a lot more in the last three or four years. Over the last couple of months I've noticed myself becoming more confident, less anxious, and able to do things that would previously have been inconceivable. There's something both slightly worrying and immensely exciting about watching yourself change without really knowing why, and without being certain if you'll like the person who emerges.




Comments

Popular Posts