santiago's dead media and adverts

If you watch the YouTube videos for santiago's dead media now you'll notice that most of them have been monetised. That is, they contain adverts.

It's not a decision I've taken lightly, and it's not something I intend to extend to my main channel. You can also, if you wish, circumvent the ads by using an adblocker.

But since santiago's dead media: the channel; the supplementary show of the same name; the main podcast, santiago's dead waspcast; and any livestreaming or real-world events that we hold are intended to be money-making ventures it makes sense to get what ad revenue we can.

I don't expect to ever make a great deal of money from santiago's dead media, and certainly next to nothing for the immediate future. I also expect that the bulk of any money will come from Patreon.

What this means for you is that santiago's dead media and santiago's dead waspcast videos will carry adverts wherever you watch them, unless that video isn't monetised for copyright reasons or you're using an adblocker. The audio versions of the podcasts on SoundCloud and any other audio-hosting service we extend to in future currently aren't monetised.

I am not going to monetise this blog (though ads will still show on some videos as above), nor my main channel, nor anything else that isn't part of santiago's dead media. However, I will post videos here, promote santiago's dead media, promote the Patreon page, and trail upcoming events. Everything will remain free to view.

A quick word about Patreon. I expect this to ultimately be the primary source of any income that santiago's dead media makes. While there's no obligation to donate (and I can't currently afford to be a patron of a number of channels I follow), it will help to make the channel self-sustaining.

Self-sustaining in this context means contributing to the ability to pay contributors, upgrade hardware and software, buy lavalier (lapel) mics, and perhaps ultimately have additional free time to work on the show.

Many of these are long-term goals, and depend on the content being good enough, and the schedule regular enough to build up an audience. That's where a lot of my focus is right now.

I hope all this won't cause too much inconvenience or anger, and I'll try to ensure I have plenty of non-podcast related posts here as well. That said, in the lead-up to the launch of the main podcast in January and immediately after I'll promote it pretty heavily.

I'm also considering a series of events in the new year to raise funds for santiago's dead media, which again will be heavily promoted, so you may have to wait for a little while before my marketing activity reduces.

Anyway, sorry for the boring post, normal service resumed soon.

Comments

Popular Posts