colour out of space day three review

And to round things out, my review of the last day of Colour Out Of Space. The longest and most stimulating of the days for me, and one which gave me some inkling of the uses of composition.

At 55 minutes it's another long listen, so approach accordingly. I think I recorded two and a half hours of reviews across the weekend. I hope you've enjoyed it if you've listened.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-dalby/sun-20-nov-at-colour-out-of

tl;dr version:

It's a real shame that Duncan Harrison's exploration of the Tarner Tape archive and the work of Raymond Carr-Hampden wasn't able to happen. There was an interesting panel on alternative radio in an internet age at the Hope & Ruin; and a fascinating interview with Iancu Dumitrescu and Ana-Maria Avram at One Church.

Performance hghlights for me were Myriam Van Imschoot and Doreen Kutzke deconstructing yodels, and Áine O'Dwyer exploring the organ and the acoustics of the building at One Church; Birgit Ulher digging into extended techniques for trumpet (which I don't describe adequately here); Steve Beresford, Tania Chen and Stewart Lee performing John Cage's Indeterminacy; and Iancu Dumitrescu, Ana-Maria Avram and members of Hyperion Ensemble performing three pieces where composition meets extended techniques.

Comments

Popular Posts