continuing development on piece for the other room on wed 19 aug

As detailed in these previous posts, mostly tracking my progress creating Icarus, the semi-improvised piece I'll be doing there, I'm one of the performers at The Other Room on Wednesday (19 August):

http://santiagosdeadwasp.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/performing-at-other-room-19-aug.html
http://santiagosdeadwasp.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/preparations-for-19-aug.html
http://santiagosdeadwasp.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/further-notes-toward-performance-next.html
http://santiagosdeadwasp.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/audio-from-creation-of-icarus.html

After six or seven run-throughs of versions of Icarus I know two things. First I'm confident I have it memorised. Second it continues to change.

Yesterday I made notes to the effect that the passage of melismatic singing in the first section was too similar to the plainsong in the fourth section. By this stage I'd already found myself playing around with the plainsong in order to disrupt it and add more variety.

I also decided to shorten the microtonal section. In doing so I knew that would shift attention to the fact that there were also two similar sections of drones. One heading out of the first section from melismatic singing into the squeals of the second section. The other being the multivoice drones of the final section, coming out of the plainsong in the preceding one.

That in turn I figured could be solved by making the first drones more unstable and uncontrolled, and again shortening them. That then freed up the later drones to more expansive explorations of overtones and resonance.

Having run through that twice this morning I'm confident that not only have I memorised the outline of the piece, but the changes are in there too. This is lucky, since I'm back in Todmorden today for the last day of Tor Ist Das, and tomorrow I have my swimming lesson in the evening, which means I really only have proper time to rehearse.

See you at The Other Room.

Comments

Popular Posts