future plans - follow-up walks

A few weeks back I announced, rather rashly, that I was planning to follow-up my big M60 walk with a coast to coast walk from Porthmadog to Skegness. That's not going to happen in July as planned, and perhaps not this year.

The reasons are twofold. First I didn't leave myself enough time to plan - it's not just about organising a route, but getting to my start point, and back from wherever the route ends, it's about planning (and paying for) places to stop overnight for at least seven nights, and a whole bunch of other things. I really haven't even made much of a start on that.

Second, even if I'd been a bit more organised, I simply can't afford it at the moment. This week I pay my studio rent, and may have to pay for some work on my new flat, this weekend there's a family event in Yorkshire, next week I pay the rent on my flat. I'm being paid weekly, so it's a constant cycle of going overdrawn at present.

The second reason in particular was causing me a lot of stress, which has lifted having made the decision yesterday not to try and force the walk to happen.

But there will be walks. The Transpennine Trail is right on my doorstep, and it would be good to walk out beyond Lymm as far as I can in the direction of Liverpool. I've also never been further than Stockport going the other way. Additionally I would like to follow the Bridgewater Canal out to Leigh. And then there's the full length of the Peak Forest Canal...

So apologies that I won't be walking coast to coast immediately. I'm disappointed and annoyed, but I'm also relieved I don't have to force myself into organisation and costs I can't manage at present. Besides, I think the four walks outlined above should prove entertaining enough in their own ways. Keep an eye out for more news.



Also, edit for those of you who missed it, yesterday's 'mornings...' photo got posted earlier.

Comments

Popular Posts