public sector strike

Civil servants, and teachers and lecturers are on strike today to defend pensions, pay and job security.

Aside from my union PCS other unions involved are ATL, UCU, and NUT.

Below are a couple of pictures from the rather sparse picket at HSE in Trafford this morning. Disappointingly at least three members crossed the picket.


All the union websites linked above will have much more detail on the justifications for strike action than I can fit here.

But for instance, under coalition proposals pension contributions will increase while future pensions will deliver less. Public sector schemes were already changed in 2007 with the cost to the taxpayer reducing over time.

And to quote one of the union leaflets, 'The total bill for public sector pensions is less than the amount of tax relief the Government provides on the pensions of the highest earners'


Personally I have almost nothing to gain from the strike. Due to government cuts, and an attack on areas of the law claimed to be a drag on businesses such as Health and Safety (I work for HSE), the office I work in will relocate to Bootle.

Since I have no desire to move to Liverpool for a job I'm not greatly committed to I decided to take the opportunity to dig into my savings and take 5 months in China starting in October.

Comments

Popular Posts