south - may cd-r coming soon + more

Nothing here for a couple of days and no twitter updates Saturday because I was recording and editing May's CD-R to be called South as well as some other sound pieces that may be used elsewhere.

Pretty happy with the results from several angles. Firstly the sound is a lot clearer than anything previously. Now in some cases that doesn't matter - the whole aesthetic of at this time of year it's always unpredictable was to be as rough as possible while just about remaining listenable. Which brings me to the second aspect - I wanted most of the pieces to be relatively quiet and minimal, building up over a long period of time - which required clean sound. I achieved that with the mini recorder. Some of the pieces are pretty quiet, subtle and minimal over reasonably long durations. Thirdly I've managed to add an extra layer of ambiguity to the whole process. I already wanted to do something that wasn't page poetry read or performed, that wasn't performance or slam poetry, that wasn't music, that wasn't sound art. This time I've managed pieces that don't even seem to be sound poetry anymore but still haven't become sound art. Fourthly rediscovering the mini recorder has reduced the amount of time taken to get the pieces finalised to around a quarter of what it was or better. Finally most of South and the other other pieces sound competent and like they've been done by someone else. At present I can actually listen to this stuff.

South has four tracks - Cardiff, Newport, Bridgend and Penarth - it's around 32 minutes long and the sleeve's designed already. I'll post that in around a fortnight or so when the CD-R finally goes on sale.

Comments

Popular Posts