fairy tales - 100 word novel

'I have fought,' she says, 'and I do not wish to fight any more.' She does not explain further but shows him an illustration in a book of fairy tales. The picture was her escape she says, she wanted to climb into the book and live in that picture. He can see nothing special or striking in the picture but comments on how detailed it is. She agrees. He does not know why his mother has gone or why his grandmother is now his mother. It is one of those adult things he assumes he will understand later. He goes outside.

Comments

DW Golden said…
Will you have sequel? The 250 word novel that might elaborate on what happens outside?

DW Golden
Soar with Fairies in a new young adult novel: Purple Butterflies
Matt Dalby said…
The thought never occurred to me. I think one of things I play with in these is how eloquent I can make the spaces and gaps.

Here I think what happens outside isn't relevant to this story which seems to me to be more about incomprehension.

Popular Posts