dear diane - what every girl should know in this age of empowerment

Having checked the old website, this will be the last item I'll move across from there. I'll close it down in a few weeks. From now on, anything posted here will be new to the blog - although some of you may have read or heard some of the poems elsewhere. Dear Diane is... well, you'll be able to figure it out.

Dear Diane

Dear Diane, I'm a little unhappy at the range of clothes available for summer wear. It seems that either I wear clothes that I find too revealing, or that are too pale and thin to be any use, or just continue to sweat it out in my ordinary clothes.
Craig Nicholls' Toenail, 17, Cardiff

I'm sorry that you find the most wonderful season of the year such a trial, but I do think you need to lighten up. Let's be honest, you want to keep cool, and I'm sure you want people to like you. Just remember that you're not dressing for yourself, you're dressing for other people, so that they get a good impression of you. And I wouldn't worry about men ogling you (which seems to be part of your worry), it's just a bit of harmless fun on their part. Who knows, you may even attract the attention of the man of your dreams!


Dear Diane, I recently went out on a blind date with a guy my friends set me up with. The problem is I don't remember much of the evening after the meal we had. The first thing I can remember after that is waking up in his bed, which is not something I would normally do. He says that nothing happened, although I was suffering extreme genital discomfort when I woke. I also found some Rohypnol in his coat pocket, what do you think I should do?
'Jane', 19, Bridgend

'Jane', I think you should stop being so suspicious, the fact that you can't remember something isn't evidence that it happened. Besides, if you did sleep with this man I'm sure it was something you wanted to happen, whether or not you needed Rohypnol to show you the way.


Dear Diane, I really fancy this boy in my class but I'm too shy to talk to him. He sits at the next table, and his name's right next to mine in the register. Last Christmas he danced with Viki at the school disco even though she was already going out with Shane. How can I make him notice me?
Desperate Blue Fan, 8, Newport

Desperate Blue Fan, your problem is that you're shy. You need to 'put out' more or the boy you fancy won't notice you. I suggest you wear short skirts and skinny tops, and try to make sure they're girly. Anything with frills, in pink, or glittery will be ideal, and wear lots of make-up. If he still doesn't notice you try snogging one of his mates it'll be easy because you don't fancy them, and he's bound to notice.


Dear Diane, my parents are threatening to throw me out, and I'm really worried. I can't rely on staying with friends, and I need to be able to pay my way through college. Are there any helplines or organisations that can help teenagers in my position?
Zoë, 16, Cardiff

I think a much better solution would be to get yourself down to a lapdancing/strip club. The work is well paid and easy, and the girls you meet there will probably be able to help you find a place to live. You have the advantage of being young (of course you'll have to claim you're 18, but a little white lie never hurt anyone), so men will be desperate to watch you dance.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good satire is less obvious than this, and more funny.
Matt Dalby said…
True, but I honestly couldn't be arsed rewriting it.

Popular Posts