new studio - more work on large piece

I've previously written about moving into the new studio,  starting work on a new large piece,  and a brief visit to do a little more work on the piece.

This time I'm looking at some further work to the large piece over the weekend. A number of new items were brought with the intention of filling in a few gaps, as well as paint to begin dripping over the piece.

The objects bought were a decorated pink gift bag, chenille twists, and coloured plastic 'flutes'.













Plus a few items were left over from my previous visits.


As the light mid-afternoon on Saturday was excellent I got a number of photos of the piece before starting work. I've done nothing to these shots, that's how my phone actually reproduced the colours - with a hyperreal, glowing vividness.





















I strung more washing line between front and back of the piece, then hung various objects from it with ribbons. When that was done I dripped paint across those parts of the piece over the dustsheet.

This took around three hours, but felt a lot less. Irrespective of whether the object I'm making turns out to be any good or not, it's been very enjoyable to make.

It's also been fun taking the photos, especially when the light is good. With which, here are the pictures of how the piece looked shortly before I left the studio.




















Yesterday (Tuesday 29 April) I bought a few more items, which I think will be the last required for this piece, from a supermarket as I headed in to work.

They included newspaper, paper, balloons and wallpaper paste to create some masks that will be added to the piece.

Gloves for use handling the wallpaper paste and paper; paper plates to cut up and create extrusions on the masks; and coloured plastic cutlery, both to add to the piece, and to provide something to mix the wallpaper paste with were also bought.

The other item purchased for use on the piece was a bag of toy soldiers which will be decapitated, dismembered, mutilated, melted, and painted. I expect all of this to take some time, and it is working on a much smaller scale than hitherto.






Finally, jumping back to Saturday, a couple of videos of the piece as it currently stands.

I'm not sure when my next posting will be - I won't have a lot of time to be in the studio over the next couple of weeks. The next Text Festival opens on Friday, with events on Saturday and Sunday (2-4 May 2014). From Sunday afternoon, just after the Text Festival event that day, Sounds From The Other City returns to Salford. Although I'm on leave from work for a fortnight there are some family issues that will take up a little time, and from 8-12 May I'll be in Glasgow for their stage of Ilan Volkov's Tectonics Festival.



Comments

Popular Posts