new blog

Starting yesterday with some preliminary notes before I start posting properly later in the week I have a new blog.


As the immediate influence here what is it that I like about Derek Jarman’s
volumes of diary?

First it is the descriptions. Of plants and of places.
Of people and situations. Not necessarily the most original or unusual but
attractive and clear.

Occasionally - though better written - they remind
me of the descriptive fragments I would fill notebooks with as a child before my
writing attempted to tell stories, explore philosophies, or become poetry.
matt dalby journal will consist of recent diary entries. The intention is to have somewhere to document my trip to China as well as journal entries before and after that, when I can be bothered to make them.

To avoid writing specifically for the blog I will post the entries before the trip - and afterwards - around a week in arrears. Some things will be redacted but otherwise there'll be no editing except to correct spelling.

I originally intended to post the first diary entry (from Saturday 20 August) on Wednesday (24 August) but I now think I'll leave it until Friday.

Yesterday I had a brief post on how I envisage the journal working. Today I posted on Derek Jarman's diaries (quote above). Tomorrow and Thursday I may reflect further on journals and writing.

Comments

Popular Posts