tiny bones - 100 word novel

I haven't done one of these for a long time. But I do enjoy them. This is more obviously fantastical than my usual, and came to me while I was out walking yesterday, though I didn't stop to write it at the time:

Tiny Bones

Once when I was a child I followed a creature, half glimpsed, into woods. It looked like a squirrel, or a bird, or a small person or monkey.

The creature led me to a collapsed, moss-covered house, where it sat and watched from a large wooden table overgrown and cracked.

In one of the drawers were glass jars of delicate bones, needles, thread, and a notebook that described how the author took the bones of tame animals after their death and stitched them together, giving them life.

I rebuilt the house, and make companions for the lonely creatures.

Comments

Popular Posts