what I've been up to

Most recently I've been filming a lot. No particular purpose, it's simply been experimenting with light, colour, texture, pattern, movement and sound, and with how the visual and aural elements interact.

Although there were a couple of bits beforehand, the first video I really shot with any expressive intent in the current set was this, trying to convey the kind of visual disturbances I'd been experiencing as a result of my anxiety attacks:



At first a lot of the film was natural locations,



but there's too established a vocabulary of 'beautiful nature'. This can get in the way of doing anything more interesting, and in the way of people seeing anything else you may be attempting.

So I consciously moved to filming more urban settings. This also feels truer to my own everyday experience:


I've filmed interiors:


I've filmed at night:


and in decent daylight - or what passes for it in a northern European autumn/winter:


In some I really love the sound - as here, with wind directly on the mic:


All of this was initially posted to Facebook, until I decided to start hosting it over at YouTube.

My YouTube page is here, all these short videos are in the same playlist - Moments: short films:




They can also be found on a Facebook page for my films. Both YouTube and Facebook are updated when a new film is added.

I have no idea how long this particular exploration will last before I head off to do something else for a while, but today I could have spent the entire morning filming junk on an unused road in Salford.

I'm just happy to be doing something. In many ways this year has felt, with the depression, the medication, and other issues, like a bit of a write-off. But then, with a download album, a download EP, a couple of performances - including one I was very pleased with for Department and zimZalla, a great deal of photography, a painted abstract comic (of which more soon), and my recent filming, I've actually done pretty well.

Nevertheless I hope 2013 will be more enjoyable and productive.

I'll leave you with a couple of favourite video from the last week or so:




Have a good New Year. See you soon.

Comments

Dan Flynn said…
Hey. I really liked the night shot of the glittering cobweb suspended on the burnished metal fencing. I thought it an excellent piece and particularly how you captured the web flexing like a speaker cone with the noise.
Matt Dalby said…
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'd tell you the circumstances of shooting it, but they're all moments in the midst of doing other things.

Popular Posts