birdsong + reduced tension (with field recording)

I haven't had a great time since I got back from China.

I think in part I expected things to be more or less the same as when I went away. And when they weren't, combined with the dark, cold, and general quietness of Manchester compared to Kunming, not to mention having to find a job and a place to live, I found I wasn't in a happy place.

There were some high points along the way - watching David Hoyle's Uncle David, Womb playing at Islington Mill, Salford Media City at a gig/houseparty that I never reviewed, Meat playing The Crescent, and EVERYTHING'S GREAT! the exhibition of work from Gary Fisher, Jennifer McDonald, Helen Shanahan, and Louise Woodcock in Rochdale.

But while I got enthusiastic and happy for each it was like I sank under freezing water again every time.

Without wanting to speak too soon things may be beginning to turn around. After a challenging week the last two or three days have felt a lot lighter and happier.

On Friday night it really felt like everything was infused with light, and that a huge weight of tension had been removed. On my way home from a night out on Friday night/Saturday morning walking between university buildings I heard some loud birdsong.

I stopped and sat for around quarter of an hour, recording ten minutes of the sounds. You hear me shift a couple of times, someone walks past, and I type a text message, but mostly it's birdsong and ambient noise:

Comments

Popular Posts